Sec. 26-36. - Required; exceptions; licensed plumber to supervise.

Every person owning a house and lot or building used for human habitation or occupancy in the town, which lot or building abuts or adjoins a street or alley along which is located a public sanitary sewer or within reasonable distance of town water lines must connect to town central water and sanitary sewer system. The only exception is a well located for irrigation only. In the extra-territorial jurisdiction, water connections shall not be required on properties where private water supplies are available and approved by State Board of Health, or connection with county water supply is more accessible. And,


All such connections shall be made by or under the supervision of a licensed plumber and in accordance with the town plumbing code; and


In lieu of a public sewer connection and where no public sanitary sewer line is accessible as indicated in this section, a septic tank approved by the State Board of Health shall be installed.

(Code 1974, § 20-17; Ord. of 1-10-2008)

Sec. 26-37. - Permit—Required; application; fee.


No person shall connect with the water or sewer system of the town until such person shall have made application for permission to so connect in writing to the town clerk. Such application shall be made before any part of the drainage system of the house or other connection shall have been laid or constructed, and shall:


Be accompanied with a plan or drawing showing in detail the location of the building and the entire proposed connection from the public sewerage line through the building to its terminus, and showing the location of all the fixtures, traps, ventilating pipes, etc.;


State the number of the place, name of the street, name of the person and the nature of the sewage that is proposed to be emptied into or passed through the proposed connection; and


Contain a specific agreement to obey all the ordinances, rules, regulations and resolutions by the board of commissioners concerning such sewer system and to restrict, regulate and control the use of such sewer system and the connections therewith.


The application shall give permission to the representatives of the town to enter the premises of the applicant at any time to look after or attend to anything connected with the town sewers. Such applicant shall have received a permit from the town, in writing, signed by the town clerk, before making any such connection.

(Code 1974, § 20-18)

Sec. 26-38. - Same—Revocation.

All permits to connect with the public sewer shall be given on the condition that the board of commissioners or properly designated committee of that body may, at any time before the completion of the connection, revoke and annul the permit when the work is not being properly executed. No party interested shall have any claim for damages in the consequences of the revoking or annulling of such a permit.

(Code 1974, § 20-19)

Sec. 26-39. - Separate connections, when required.


Each business building and residence shall maintain a separate and individual connection with the public sewer and water system. Where buildings have separate occupants, a water tap shall be made for each place of business.


Any property owner who shall construct a separate building or remodel any existing building to make it a separate apartment or residence or business shall make a direct connection to the water meter for each residence or business.

(Code 1974, § 20-20)

Sec. 26-40. - Reservation of exclusive right for tapping mains; town to extend all service pipe to curbing.

The town reserves exclusive privilege of tapping water mains for all connections and will extend all service pipe to curbing, where a stopbox will be placed over a stopcock, all of which shall be under the exclusive control of the town and remain the town's property.

(Code 1974, § 20-21)

Sec. 26-41. - Permission required to cut streets.

It shall be unlawful for any person, other than the town, to cut or cause to be cut any street, whether paved or unpaved, in the town for the purpose of making water or sewer connections with the water or sewer mains of the town, without permission from the town clerk.

(Code 1974, § 20-22)

Cross reference— Streets, sidewalks and other public places, ch. 22.

Sec. 26-42. - Use of private hydrants.

Hydrants put in for fire protection on private premises shall not be used for any other purpose. Parties having hydrants for this purpose shall not sprinkle streets, yards or buildings or use such hydrants for any purpose except fire without first obtaining permission from the superintendent of public works, and shall state for what purpose the water is to be used, and shall pay for such water.

(Code 1974, § 20-23)

Secs. 26-43—26-65. - Reserved.


(39) State Law reference— Power to require water and sewer connections, G.S. 160A-317. (Back)